“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile you could miss it.” – Ferris Bueller
As the end of the year rolls around it seems everyone’s talking about resolutions, goals and how we can do and be more. Which is wonderful!
But with the excitement of all this newness, it’s easy to forget how far we’ve come and what the past year has done for us.
Which is why it’s equally important that we take a moment to reflect and congratulate ourselves on all that we’ve already achieved, get clear on what we’d like to experience next, and remember what we’re really living for.
Many of us feel accomplishments only include major life events like getting married, having children, starting a company or buying a house. But sometimes our greatest achievements come from doing nothing.
Sometimes too it’s the dark days, difficult times and hard-learned lessons that need recognition in order to guide us to the next chapter of our lives.
There are no rules and there’s no right or wrong way to take an inventory of your life – all it takes is a pen, paper and some uninterrupted time.
So, pour a glass of wine or a cup of tea and take a moment to reflect and congratulate yourself on all you’ve achieved, get clear on what you’d like to experience next and remember what you’re really living for.
This simple exercise will be a game-changer for 2020 and your entire life!
Here are some questions to play with (if you’re a long-time reader, these may look familiar, but it never hurts to evaluate your life each year!):
- What major life changes occurred this year? (Moving, school, career change, family, etc.)
- What cities/countries did you visit or move to?
- Who came into your life this year? Who left? (New friends, co-workers, lovers, pets.)
- What was the absolute high of the year? What was the low?
- What life lessons or trades and skills did you learn this year?
- What growth can you notice in yourself?
- What do your income, savings, investments look like compared to last year? What would you like them to look like a year from now?
- What health or physical improvements did you make to your body or lifestyle?
- Did you make any big purchases? (Car, home, furniture, etc.)
- What was the most romantic moment you experienced this past year?
- What was the most fun day or night you had with your family, partner or friends?
- Did you pick up a hobby? (Gardening, sewing, playing an instrument, cooking.)
- Which aspects of your life now would you like to roll over into next year? Which would you like to leave behind?
- Where would you like to be a year from now in your personal and professional life? (Starting a new company, moving, being promoted, married, children, in better health.)
- What would you like your life to look like a year from now? In 5 years? In 10 years?
- If you were guaranteed one wish that would come true for you in the next year, what would it be?
We hope you look back fondly on 2019!
Emily and the Savvy Team
Quote du jour
“What the new year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the new year.” — Vern McLellan
Read More Feel-Good Notes
Trust Something Better’s in Store
Whether You Think You Can or Think You Can’t, You’re Right
The Secret to Reaching Your Goals
*We love all our picks, and if you make a purchase, we may get a little something back. Thanks for your support!