Most of us have a love-hate relationship with Valentine’s Day. There’s a nice sentiment behind the holiday, but all the expensive flowers, five-course meals, and sappy cards take a lot of the fun out of it.
If you wish Valentine’s Day would just go away, we get it. But what if you approached the holiday a little differently this year?
Instead of feeling pressure to celebrate the day in some formulaic, overly romantic way, why not show everyone, yes everyone, a little love?
Being kind to others around you — your loved ones and random strangers on the street — can bring them and you a whole lot of joy. And shouldn’t that be what this time of year is all about?
If you’re strapped for ideas, here are 10 ways you can show others some love starting today!
- Treat the person in line for coffee behind you to a free cup of Joe (just hand a few extra bucks to the barista!).
- Text a friend or two you haven’t spoken to in a while, and see how they’re going.
- Drop off cookies (or anything chocolate) for a neighbor who doesn’t get out much.
- Watch a friend’s children for an hour or two so they can run an errand/take a shower/exercise.
- Tell the person on the other end of a customer service call to have a nice day.
- Give a stranger a compliment (you’d be surprised how just saying, “You have great hair” could brighten someone’s day).
- Pass along a book you loved to a friend (they won’t mind if there are underlined parts and dog-eared pages).
- Frame a favorite, old photo and mail it to your parents, aunt, or uncle.
- Walk a neighbor’s dog (or dog sit) so they get a little extra time in their day.
- Put money in someone’s parking meter (and leave a note on their windshield to “Have a nice day!”).
By showing up for other people, you’re bettering their lives and yours. And isn’t that the perfect way to celebrate this holiday?
Wishing you a Happy Valentine’s Day!
Emily and the EveryDay Happy Team
Quote du jour
“Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day.” — Sally Koch
Read and Listen to More Like This
How You (Yes You!) Can Make a Difference
*We love all of our picks, and if you make a purchase, we may get a little something back. Thanks for your support!