When you were little, do you remember the rush you’d get when you rolled down a grassy or snowy hill or slid down a slide? Most of us haven’t felt that rush in a while. Whether it’s because we’re too busy, we’ve forgotten how, or we’re not in the mood, “fun” gets put on the backburner.
But fun isn’t just for kids — it’s crucial for adults too. When we’re having fun, we release stress and live in the moment. We step away from the heaviness and mundane and create more joy and ease in our day.
If you’re a little rusty in the “fun department,” or in need of motivation, here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy yourself this weekend. Take 15 minutes of “fun” time and be sure to reply to this email and let us know what you did! 🙂
- Play a board game with your partner, roommate or invite your friends over for game night. If you’re hanging inside solo, take out a puzzle and put on some happy tunes!
- Get outside and toss a ball around (or a snowball depending on the weather) and play for a bit.
- Take a drive along the coast (or lake or river). Turn up the music, roll down the windows and let your hair blow in the wind.
- Treat a kid in your life to an ice cream sundae – and get one for yourself, too!
- Dust off an old jump rope or hula hoop. Or head to your local park and take a ride down the slide or hop on a swing.
- Plan a coffee or wine date with a friend who always makes you laugh.
- Try something new that gets you excited just thinking about it.
- Go to a comedy show — or any arts or cultural event (even if it’s random, like your town’s production of “Rent”).
You know what your idea of fun is, and what’s important is you get out of your comfort zone and do something spontaneous, whether that’s going to a movie, or stopping for lunch at a restaurant you’ve always wanted to try, or any of our suggestions.
It’s your right to have fun, so don’t let any feelings of guilt creep in. Reconnect with the kid in you and enjoy this time to unwind. You deserve it!
Emily and the EveryDay Happy Team
P.S. Are you following us on Instagram? Each story or post is like a mini moment of peace and inspiration! Join us over at everydayhappy.life to see for yourself. 🙂
Quote du jour
“Never underestimate the importance of having fun.” — Randy Pausch
Read and Listen to More Like This