Imagine rolling out of bed with a smile on your face, laughing throughout your day, and going to bed feeling calm and content? While not every day will be sunshine and rainbows, there are so many things you can do to add more joy to each day.
Here are seven of my favorite ways:
1. Start your day with a “morning mantra” and tell yourself something that makes you feel good. Some ideas include: “Today’s going to be a great day.” “I intend to have a wonderful day.” “I am a good person and life loves and supports me.”
Be intentional and be positive.
2. Be grateful from the get-go – While you’re brushing your teeth or making breakfast think of five things you’re truly grateful for. Don’t just say them in your head, feel them in your heart.
3. Make a good breakfast – Add extra in-season fruit to your yogurt or smoothie, or you could even make “overnight oats” the night before, so you have a little treat in the fridge waiting for you. Here’s one of our favorite recipes!
4. Take 5 big yoga breaths (think in through the nose, out through the mouth). Between work and driving kids around, we don’t always have time to meditate, but you can still do your body and mind good by taking a few minutes to breathe. Inhale … exhale … and feel yourself relax.
5. Give someone a compliment. You’ll brighten someone’s day which always makes us feel good too.
6. Give yourself a break. You’re not perfect, but you’re doing the best you can, so try not to be so hard on yourself and make it a point to love yourself more.
7. Choose entertainment, conversations and activities that make you feel good. Turn on an old favorite sitcom like Friends, or Frasier, or pop on an inspirational podcast. Engage in conversations that uplift you and steer clear of people who bring you down.
Life is messy and it won’t ever be perfect. But there are so many things we can choose each day to feel even a tiny bit happier. You just have to prioritize it.
Have a wonderful weekend, friend!
Emily and the EveryDay Happy Team
P.S. Join me on Instagram for daily inspiration and behind the scenes.
Quote du jour
“We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy.” —Joseph Campbell
Read and Listen to More Like This